Thursday, June 5, 2008

ER Trip during Trip

The kids and I went away this weekend to Nana and Papa's weekend lake house (well, mobile home, but we still call it the lake house!) in Wisconsin.

With the Nanarazzi always around with her camera phone, we were able to catch this happy moment at the ER in Edgerton, WI this past Sunday.

So this is what happened..... I was pulling up Autumn's pants and she was being silly and doing the 'sack of potatoes' trick where she drops like dead weight to the floor. which I grab her hands or arms all the time so she won't slam onto the floor. I had pulled her up again and she was standing, but I knew she was gonna go down again so I reached for her arms and got hold of her wrists, just as she was potato sacking.......end result, dislocated radial head (the bone between
the wrist and the elbow).

She was gingerly holding her arm, but I thought she was tired from being at the beach and then pool earlier and was 'over emphasizing' her pain. (I thought maybe I squished her wrist or maybe she fell on it after). So we tried to eat dinner and she didn't want any one to come near her arm, so I figured maybe it's fractured.......The nurse right away said dislocation and the Dr. came in a little while later. He asked her (when he pointed) if it hurt. She said yes to her wrist, elbow, shoulder, head, and other arm........he then took her arm, and she was crying (but not ridiculously, more scared than anything) and he exclaimed it was 'milk maid elbow', and that he just slid it back into place. We took x-rays just to make sure.

Before we went to x-ray Nana shot this picture, because within about a minute of the Dr. putting the arm back(the realization that there was no more pain) she was feeling better. Earlier her pain was the sad, crying face....almost a 10.........hooray for Edgerton Wisconsin Hospital!

You know, I never swung her around by her arms cause I thought that was bad for her arms, and oddly I had swung her by her arms a couple times recently, thinking that may be crazy talk.........it didn't happen then, but it happened now, so I'm a believer. The hospital staff said it happens a lot (around the pool (throwing kids in and stuff), stepping off a curb in Mom
and Dad's hands, etc.). Mom insisted on going with me to the ER in case they were going to accuse me a child abuse (she was there when it happened). She said she thought David dislocated his arm when he was younger and they asked him a lot of questions hinting/searching for child
abuse........un-nerving enough that your child is in pain so to add to it, they must've been pretty accusatory.....

Anywho, we still had a lovely time and plan on going again, but perhaps it will wait til after the wedding! = ) We've got much-a-do goings on!

3 comments:

flip flop mama said...

Glad she's okay!

Michele said...

OMG I saw the title of your post and I was so scared. I am so glad she was ok. I dislocated a shoulder when I was little while we were on vacation. I guess maybe it is an easy thing to happen to little people.

HMomma said...

Thanks guys! I really miss everyone on iV, but I'm glad I've still got you guys to talk too! I haven't posted a lot lately, but it's a ghost town there! = (