Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Oldest Dearest Friend

I am originally from a small town in Illinois. A town that used to be a tiny southwest suburb of Chicago. It's still small and basically unaffordable to live there. We were about 3 years too late.......such is life.

My 20th High School Reunion is coming up this fall. I think these ten year intervals from High School feel more depressing than hitting the big 30 and the big 40, at least I think the big 40. There are several things to potentially attend for the reunion and the only thing I care about the whole thing is a night out and to catch up with my oldest and dearest friend Georgette.

Georgette and I met at Happy Hands preschool in our home town in, I believe 1974. She's been with me through a lot of things and is the most non-judgemental friend I've ever had. She's an awesome listener too. We used to pick on our Moms because they'd get together for their cheese and vino chat sessions, but I think now, if she lived closer, we'd be much the same!

Although at times , when we were in High School I wish she wouldn't have been so darned popular (Class President), I'm pretty lucky to have remained friends with her for so long. We can pick up the conversation right where we left off.

So we went through church and school together and yes, were even on a bowling team together. Hey!? It WAS the 1970's!!!! She was the only person, when I got the flu when trying out for basketball freshman year, who understood and felt horrible when I didn't make the team. She was there when my Gramma passed away my Sophomore year. She was there for me when a relative took his life in my Junior year. I broke down when I saw her. She was there when I was mortified that my boyfriend ditched me my Senior year. ::I hope he's bald:: ::smirk:: She was the only person I visited (by myself....big deal for an over-protected little sister) in College. I went to college locally and worked at my brother's pizza place (remind me to chat about that one day!). When my career began and she moved out to the mountains, I visited her......it's beautiful out there! She was in my wedding. She's easy to talk to and I don't have to explain much. She was with me (not literally you sickos!) when Husband and I were having trouble trying to conceive and for so, so much more. I always know I could call her if I need to feel better. I'm sure she doesn't know that. I consider her my sister.

She has a son one day older than Autumn and a daughter 3 years older than Autumn. I wish we lived closer 'cause I'd love to have a Mom to really relate to and have fun with. She's a stay-at-home mom (she works part-time from home) who's keeping it real. Hard for me to find someone in the middle of the spectrum as moms tend to slide to one side or the other.

I miss her and although she's always a hot commodity when visiting, she always makes the extra effort to make sure we get together.

Were are not June Cleaver, nor Stepford's wives and we don't live on respective Wisteria Lanes but we've got history! = )

No comments: