Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Wedding Gift

My brother is getting married, in July, in Seattle.......I love, love my brother dearly and I told him I'd be there no matter what. I know he doesn't realize how expensive this is, but I'm think I'll have to sell Baby Boy to the highest bidder to almost break even! Can you say.....OUCH?!?!? It's not like we can stay with him for free, and I'm not asking anyways. I whine this information, and then I ask.....when was the last time I was on vacation?

The last real vacation was to northern Wisconsin for a week of fishing back in 1998.....I think it was 1998. So now I look at this cost for Seattle and I think it's not so bad. But let's not forget, I've got a wedding the week before (not brother's fault), my daughter is in the wedding (still have shoes and socks to buy), we're paying my niece to watch our house/dog, my bills (just kidding).......It'll just be an expensive month. I'm actually looking forward to it.

I was the first family member to visit my brother way out there in Seattle and it was beautiful! I believe it was in July or August and warm and sunny! Went to the needle, Snowqualmie Falls, and a museum. The mountain was beautiful! And other than that, I was happy to spend time with my brother. This is the brother I got along with fantastically until he went to High School. I seem to remember whipping a high-heeled shoe at him once, but that was the 'worst' of our fighting, ever. So after a few years, we melded back into our great relationship. I have a great relationship with all my brothers, but each one is different. Different, but great.

The bond with my brothers began early on. Somewhere between being the youngest and only daughter and the boys being forced to keep an eye on me and my folks arguing (that happened a lot when we were young - I think it slowed down when I was in High School.....a long. long time ago) and I seem to recall us huddled in the basement, sometimes crying together during their arguments. It's a weird bond and we've remained close, at least the brothers who want to remain close. Even the one who distances himself I still feel close too. He's in there, somewhere.......Just very busy with life. He's the one who'll have a heart attack due to stress. Wait, now that I think of it, two of them will die of a heart attack due to stress........I guess that might come with the territory of being the 'man' of the house........that's a tough title to hold and I'm glad I don't have to be that person. I think my Husband is in that stressed-out position too, and even worse, he smokes. I'm not saying that my remaining brother isn't a 'man', I think he's learned from what he's seen......at least I hope so, but it's hard to get the whole picture with him being so far away.

Back to the wedding. The schedule I've seen is quite set and I'm hoping for some good quality family time to get in there (for my little family). Future Sister-In-Law has pretty much let me pick the flower girl dress that Baby Girl and another little girl will wear. It was fun and I'm glad we went dress shopping BEFORE Nana broke her hip! ::wink::

Someone is nagging to play games, I must go before my left arm is longer than my right arm.....

No comments: