Monday, March 10, 2008

Basement Woes

Well, you knew it was too good to be true. I haven't been on the computer because our basement was out of commission and will be until, oh, this coming Sunday. You see, husband had the bright idea of only replacing the 'switch'-only on the sump pump. I seem to recall him telling me that he'd put in a new sump pump later......He replaced this switch a few weeks before Autumn's birthday party.......so we come to this past Wed. I almost always come down stairs in my slippers, it's a tad bit chilly, but not too bad (I'm always cold). So I get on-line and do my thing as Autumn is playing with her mountain of toys down here. She tells me she got her feet wet with her sippy cup. I tell her she can't play with her sippy cup and her feet. Her socks were soaking wet......still didn't kick in that something was wrong. So, she continued to tear a part a big 'ol alphabet book (one I was suckered into purchasing in front of Wal-Mart). On a side note, I promise to not buy that crap any more nor will I buy from door to door sales people. Anywho, I of course get upset she's now wasted a book and I go to throw the remnants of the book into the garbage in the unfinished part of the basement.....::splash, splash:: OMG! OMG! OMG! (I'm so lucky she thought I was saying Oh my gosh!) The sump wasn't working, and hadn't been working and there was water EVERYWHERE! The carpet was soaked. Somebody remind me to thank her! Ha!

I call Husband. (You know he's totally unhappy). He asked me to go downstairs and check to see if the sump was working. I move the sump cover and it kicks on, sucking gallons after many gallons of water. The water continues to poor into the pit and the pump at first can't catch up, but eventually does. It is just pouring in from the outside foundation of the house....What a nightmare! Yuck! Soooooooo, here we are the following Mon. The carpet has been dried with two big fans and a big dehumidifier......the carpet guy is coming to stretch the carpet back on Thurs. and the carpet won't be cleaned til Fri. and hopefully we can get the room back together by Sunday. Really, all the toys from the basement are currently in the living room....now THAT'S A NIGHTMARE! What a mess!!!! The cost of this 'saving' of the carpet that's two years old will be just a couple hundred dollars short of replacing the whole thing. (This is the carpet that the cat wee'd on a few times before we put him down. He was 15 years old and I couldn't take the smell, nor chance of him continuing to do it. Sorry buddy. Although the smell wasn't as bad as the skunk who got stuck in our window well and decided to spray. Now that was some good dry-heaving! WRETCH!!!!)

On the good side I've crossed a few more items off my list this week and past weekend. I got new glasses, went to Dr. appointment, dropped off food at the church pantry, dropped off toys/baby stuff at brother and sister-in-laws and got some of the toys we no longer have room for, nor want to store anymore, in a box in my car. Granted it's in my car, but out of the house. What a total F-up!

So I used my company's annual spring BBQ this past Fri. as an excuse to partake in a wee bit more inebriating beverages than I typically would and had BAby Boy not been sick with roseola, it would've been lovely. Really, I only suffered lack of sleep on Sat. No hangover to speak of......Hooray for me! I tasted beer for the first time in a long time that night, can I just say....ICK!? I think I've now turned old. I went for Miller Lite and ended up with the Merlot......Onto Baby Boy, He had a fever WEd. that ended on Sat and topped off with a lovely rash that's still here........uuugggghhhh!

In an attempt to gather my boot straps and get some work done today I went to my folks to work on a project.....that went HORRIBLY as their computer wasn't working the best and the program I use was no longer able to read my report.........another wasted day.

So this evening, I jerry-rigged (I know that's not how it's spelled but I'm too tired) my makeshift work station in the back room of the basement. It's cold and the furnace and computer are noisy, but I'm on-line and together!

Speaking of the report. I've gotta go!

Oh, did I mention the new sump only cost $125 and took all of 10 minutes to put in?!?!?!?!? I'm irritated by the whole thing!

No comments: